Birth Certificate Information

West Virginia State Law (see enclosed law) says that before a child is allowed to enter school, parents or guardians of that child must show the school an official birth certificate. WV State Law

        The certificate must be an original - copied records are not accepted.

        This birth certificate must come from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics - not a county or a hospital.

        To obtain a West Virginia official birth certificate complete this form and send to: 

                        Vital Records Office

                        350 Capitol Street, Room 155

                        Charleston WV  25301

                        or telephone: 304-558-2931


If your child was born in a state other than WV, the school nurse will have addresses to write and obtain an official birth record.